Monday, October 19, 2009

Tower of Brahma: Chapter 47. the Meaning of Life (completed)

08/02/07

I went out for a walk last night. I wandered down 2nd Ave, turned on 3rd, made a right on 1st. From there I crisscrossed through the Lower East Side. I walked by every bar I was familiar with but didn't go in any of them.

I was looking for something, not meaning to find anything. An empty quest through the lonely night, hoping things might make sense with some pavement under my feet. I decided to get a drink after all.

Back up into the East Village, Ave A's deviants all about me, I knew where to go. Lucy's; Agent Spider's drop point of choice. I had Marco bring me a Zyviec. He asked where Spider was as he added a shot of Polish Vodka to the bar. I tossed back the shot and told him I was solo tonight.

I polished off the beer and stepped outside for a smoke. It was near closing time and Thompkins Square Park was a black void before me. The gates were all locked and the police weren't about, yet I knew someone was in there. I could hear them; could hear the wail of his trumpet.

It was sad and jazzy. Dancing among the leaves, slipping around the maze-like walkway. It must have had a hypnotic effect on me as I found myself leaping the fence and wandering into the darkness. I followed the sound of the horn towards the center of the park, where the benches all arc around two massive trees. The moon beamed down through the gaps in the treetops illuminating the dancefloor. I was alone with myself standing amid the lunar puddles.

A man stepped into the light playing his horn. He wore a disheveled suit and a frazzled head of hair with matching beard. His eyes were closed as he sauntered towards me. The moon highlighted the cracks in his features. I thought of my father.

His slow, sad tune rode out on a long and nearly inaudible note.

"Hey kid. Thanks for coming."

"I guess I didn't have much of a choice. I've been at the mercy of random events for quite some time now." I really had. I had finished a book I didn't recall writing. It was soon to be released and in the meantime I was visiting therapists and specialists and psychiatrists at the behest of the publisher. I wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Oh, I remember those days. So afraid I was being controlled, manipulated, that I often ran away from anything and everything. We always were so good at running away..."

The moonlight shifted as it began to turn away in the night sky. It provided a pathway to the benches where the man with the trumpet sat wearily. He spun the horn around his fingers with a practiced ease. With his other hand he took out a pair of glasses and slipped them on.

"But I remember this night too. Alone and wandering. Called into the dark by my beckoning blare of brass. Heh. A beer and a shot burning my belly. We never would have had the balls to jump the fence, let alone come in here this late, all alone..."

I examined his face as the leaves parted in the wind and the light shone upon him. The same glasses I picked up at Fabulous Fanny's. The beard, although much thicker, was still patchy in the same places. The I-ching tattoo on the left forearm peeking out from his rolled up sleeve...

"So, you're me then? I'm visiting myself in the past? How old am I, I mean you?"

He chuckled and stared me down. I was guessing he had to be almost my father's age now.

"You don't even want to know how this is all possible. That's what I loved about this age. 30, right? Still had that sense of wonder and excitement. As for me, well, seeing as this is the year of our lord 2023, well then, I must be just shy of...forty eight. Man. Forty eight."

He looked down at the ground for a lingering, lost moment. The trumpet came to an abrupt stop as he glanced up at me.

"C'mon, sit a spell."

So, I dropped onto the bench next to him and stared down at my shredded Adidas on the pavement, my sock just protruding from the right pinky toe.

"Do I figure this out?"

"What, life?"

"Yeah."

"You already did. Now you're just learning to live with it."

The moonlight began to shrink away, letting the night envelop us. The remaining light focused to a point; thousands of leaves casting fractal patterns in a chaotic pattern all melting into one spotlight, slipping towards a headlight, to a mere flashlight. As it became a laser it floated down the space between us and up my body. It rested on my forehead and fired.

"Here, put these on."

A pair of sunglasses was being placed on my face in the blinding white. I eventually got them adjusted and the world came into view.

"How is it daytime?"

I was staring out at the park midday, with dogs being walked, skateboarders flipping and tripping, and joggers bouncing by. The sun was everywhere.

"Okay, I just brought you through time so, you know, take a minute and soak it in."

Minor details made it to a secret part of my brain. Clothes were familiar, yet foreign. Bizarre technology was in place of small things like books, cell phones, stereos. Even people themselves felt somewhat alien.

"2023? I guess not much is different. People in a park."

A spin of the trumpet got my attention as he turned to me and said, "Let's walk."

I felt stumbly and awkward. Paying too much attention to walking, to breathing. I assumed everyone was staring, but no one was. The man next to me just smiled over at me as we walked out and down 7th street.

"So, yeah, as you can see, life is just about the same. Some major changes in the air, but so many behind us as well."

Billboards and ads were either holographic, following me as I passed or just paint on a wall. Stores ranged from squatters sitting out selling their goods (glass bowls, hemp, and paper books), to high end, eye scanner designer vintage clothing stores big enough to fit five people comfortably.

"What about the book? What happens with the Tower of Brahma? I don't know the ending."

He stopped spinning the horn and placed it into his pocket. With a smile he said, "Well, what can I tell you? It makes an impact. Of sorts."

"What's that mean? You know what I had planned for the end. How does it end?"

He chuckled to himself. "You'll read it eventually. Live it actually. God, I miss being you."

I put everything that's been happening to me in perspective. Somehow I was still alive. There was some purpose to all this. But I had to know.

"Is it my ending? What I really wanted? Did they make it something horrible? I wanted a happy ending...I did."

Tears welled up and I squeezed them out casually. Future me put his arm around my shoulder and with a grand sweeping gesture he wiped away the veil of reality.

"It's always a happy ending."

My arms weak, I clawed the glasses from my face and the light turned to dark, letting them fall to the sidewalk. The night warbled and warped before me. The people, the sun, the future...was gone.

I dropped to a knee and then tumbled forward onto my face. Consciousness sat dormant within my body as it heaved and hurled up the booze and stomach chunks. Every 20 minutes or so light made it's way into my open eyes.

Agent Spider walked up and lifted me by the back of my shirt. He began to drag me forward, and five feet later my feet found their footing. I was working my way up to lurching forward.

"C'mon kid, let's get you home."

A single note dissipated down 7th street and out into tomorrow.

No comments: