Monday, November 9, 2009

Tower of Brahma - 50 - We're Building the New World: Order

1/14/08

They opened the door to my cell, my padded solitary confinement, without warning one day. A well-dressed man with perfect hair and a royal blue suit walked in wearing a smile that brimmed with empathic tenderness.

"Hello Charles. I'm Mike Gallows."

"Hey." It was all I could muster from beneath the drug slumber.

"Let's go for a walk." He extended his hand to me and helped me up.

I trailed along beside him, dragging my feet, as we made our way through some sort of building I don't recall entering. It was old and clinical, like an outdated mental hospital, and then transforming into an office building with the turn of a corner.

"This is our main office, for now." He waved his hands and cubicles, worker drones, computers, all seemed to materialize with his words.

As we walked, the business casual clad workers all peered out of their private hives to get a peek at this deranged madman the boss was giving the grand tour to. I hated them and their inquisitive eyes.

"We've got a few projects in the works, but we consider your book a top priority." I swung my head up towards him from my hunched stance. "I'm not sure if you know what your work has meant to some of us here."

"Where am I?" I don't remember sleeping.

"Well, that's sort of one of the tiny problems we're working on. We're not quite sure."

Gallows starts walking and as if on a leash, I lurch forward, shuffling along behind like an obedient dog. The office interior fades and a shimmering laboratory sparkles in its place.

A young lab technician, hiding behind mousy brown hair and glasses, tinkers with various, unscientific looking tools. Blunt objects, odds and ends from a junk drawer, and a handful of rocks. She continues to arrange them in some manner of specific order, known only to her, seemingly oblivious to us having entered her arena.

"Now, we're going to need you to hop up on here and let us have a look at you." Gallows guided me to some sort of medical surplus lounge chair and shoved me down into it.

He rotated around me, appearing in doctor's scrubs when he re-entered my line of sight. I began to feel a soothing comfort trickle down my body. Numb nothingness filled the everywhere of ache and pain. My teeth went first, then my chest, my limbs.

"Just sit back and relax and we'll see what's going on here." Gallows activated some out of sight lever, coercing the dental lay-z-boy to draw me deeper and deeper into comfortable oblivion.

I felt electromagnetic pulses, radioactive tracers, psychic emanators, all probing my body looking for disease. Seeking answers. Locating my soul.

When eternity had just started to become a teensy bit tiresome, the procedure ended. A bright light still shone on my exposed aura. I was vibrating, tingling pins and needles as physical sensation began to awaken within me.

"Well, everything seems to be in good working order, and I believe we can help you with the last piece you're missing." Gallows began to raise my chair up to a sitting position.
Sitting across from me, he appeared to be relieved. "Looks like you came through relatively unscathed, considering your story."

Gallows snapped off his latex gloves and jotted down some notes in a folder before handing them off to the assistant. A pure, silvery mirror was wheeling itself into the room, gliding on invisible monofilaments no doubt.

The mirror came to a stop just a few feet away. As Gallows readjusted it directly before me, I glanced over at the young lab assistant who was cleaning away the bric-a-brac that was strewn across the countertop. All that crap seemed awfully familiar and now possessed by some sentimental force that was overwhelming me.

"What is all that? What does this have to do with me? What is the tower...?"

I turned to face Gallows but instead saw my own reflection. I gazed upon my duplicate, my shimmering clone that truly existed nowhere, and I saw how lost he looked. I saw his despair and struggle, but how could you not with it weighing his face down like that.

That poor schmuck. All alone on the other side, unable to do much of anything. Just the exact opposite of myself, here in this cold, hard reality. But this reality didn't feel real. It hadn't in a long while. Before the book was written. Before moving to the city. Before the deal.

Innocence was the vital ingredient in this stranger's eyes. Unbitten by bitterness, my god, this simpleton was so long gone. I had forgotten what it was to be like you. To be lost and then refound. Bound by the immaterial, I buried you where they could never find you, the other side of here.

Over my howls of joy at this momentous occasion of me reclaiming my self, I overheard Gallows instruct the young girl to watch over me in these final stages.

"Be sure to wait until it fully dissolves, then give him the sedative. Let him take all of it in before he sleeps. Then have him meet the others."

Gallows gently tapped the edge of the chair and whispered, "Welcome home Charles. Everything will be amazing."

As I absorbed all that I had left behind, every good and decent fiber of my being, the whole of my sane mind, as all that soaked into me all I could think was that everything is already amazing.

It always has been. It always will be.

"Novus Ordo Colligo."

No comments: