Monday, October 10, 2011

Tower of Brahma 52 - House of Cards (first draft) [edit]

7/16/08

"I fold."

That was my one solid move in Poker. Folding. Well, maybe in life I should say. Once in a while I try and bluff, but in the end, I just lose my chips.

Sean clears the pot towards himself with a sweep of his arm. It's not much for us, it's everything. Juan, across from me, deals out another hand. Brian throws in without even looking at his cards. Next to him, Tom's seat is empty. My turn.

"So, what's your book about Juan?" Sean puffs his cigar, filling the basement with the smell of tobacco and an ethereal swirl of smoke.

Juan bids in and covers his hand. "Well, there's this guy who just starts compulsively working out, and then discovers he's a sleeper assassin."

"Sounds cliche." Brian folds. No one notices.

"Nice. Should be able to sell. Seems like the market could sustain a series like that." I'd been trying to read up on publishing and marketing, and mostly all I came up with was frustration. I raise.

Sean calls. "Fuck yeah. People love that thriller intrigue stuff. They're all over the subway ads."

We show our cards and once again a single King does me no good. Juan hauls in the pot and we begin again. As I get my cards I read the others before me.

Brian bets recklessly, not caring what he's holding, barely invested in the game. Sean kicks back, puffs away, and cracks jokes, but he's playing for real underneath. He needs the money. Juan just deals and plays a straight game, showing nothing from behind his poker face

"So, who's the guy supposed to kill? Who's he working for?" Sean has got a good hand. I can tell.

”I haven't really figured out which way to take it just yet. I sort of wanted to go political, but now I'm thinking cultural." Juan raises.

"Cultural? Like a celebrity assassination? How bizarre that culture begins with the word cult." Brian is bluffing with a double sized bet.

"That's interesting. Contrast his compulsion for improving his body image with celebrity fascination. The real versus the ideal." I wasn't bluffing this time.

We play a few more hands when I feel the barrel of an all too familiar gun placed against the back of my head. Then Spider spoke to me telepathically as he said: 'Kill them. They're going to kill you if you don't.'

I tried to focus on my cards and found myself glancing at Tom's empty seat, then at the others. My poker face sucked and I knew it. I was tipping my hand.

"I see your ten and raise you twenty." I tossed some chips into the pot absent-mindedly.

The game continued and I heard the cocking back of a hammer. I knew Spider would be concealed from the others but that wouldn't help me. He'd kill me here, if just to prevent them from doing it.

'Look at them. They're the enemies, competing for dominance over you, over this world.'

I peered up from my cards. I followed Juan's movements as he upped the ante. The pot was growing and he didn't bat an eye. I had no idea what was going on in his mind. He could kill me if he wanted.

'Get your gun out and fire or I will.'

In my peripheral vision I saw Spider's arm as it swung his hand cannon towards Brian. I tried not to focus on it as I began to sweat. I avoided eye contact. I was showing all my tells. I fingered the revolver in my pocket.

“I fold." Brian rested his cards on the table. He looked over at me, as it was up to me to call it.

Sean was overplaying it, holding not much of anything but he knew he could intimidate me with his confidence. He'd take me down if he could.

"I call." I tossed my cards on the pile of chips. "King of Hearts. King of Clubs. Ace of Spades."

Juan locked his eyes on me and I knew. This was going down and there wasn't anything I could do about it. One of us was going to die, right here, right now.

"Pair of Jacks." Juan spread his cards out before him. "Looks like you got me."

Spider's gun whipped towards Sean as Juan kicked the table up at me. Brian tipped over in his chair, scrambling for safety. I drew my gun from its resting place and raised it up.

Chips flew and cards scattered as Spider fired. With a snap of his wrist Sean launched his cards at Spider with deadly accuracy. The table hid Juan's actions from me but I knew his nine millimeter would be reaching out to me.

I shot from the hip, the bullet rocketing through the air, punching through the Ace of Spades before splintering the table with a hole big enough for me to see Juan through. His eyes locked on lining up his shot.

I kicked backwards, sending me tumbling backwards in my chair as Juan's bullet blew a hole through the center of the table, right where my face would have been. Spider emptied his clip as the table passed between him and Sean. There was an explosion of splintered wood. And time froze.

I rolled back into a defensive position. Spider ducked as he released the clip with one hand and slapped in a new one all in one continuous, fluid motion. The debris that was the poker table began falling all around us. Juan extended his arm, preparing another shot. I was looking off to the side as Brian scampered off for cover.

My attention slid to Spider who I could see now was wearing Tom's persona. It flickered on and off as he penetrated this reality. He was preparing to shoot as I lost myself in the scene.

Juan fires. Spider fires. Sean flips backwards. I sit and ponder. I lower my gun to the ground as a bullet spirals through the air between Juan and myself. My sight travels along the ground like mist, filling up the room. Everything slows in my mind. I see all.

'Kill him Fenris.' Spider switches his aim towards me. 'Move or die.'

"Everything is possible, nothing is sacred. Nothing is possible, everything is sacred." I move.

Time cracks like lightning and Juan's shot smashes my chair. I dive forward, sliding past Spider, rolling onto my side and click out five shots. The empty shells from Spider's gun drop down on me like hot rain.

The first shot hits Juan's hands, removing his weapon. The second collides with his soul, shattering his faith. Third shot blows away his mind and the fourth denies his existence as it deactivates his sense of self. The annihilation of his own personal reality, the obliteration of all he thought himself to be, sprouts from the final bullet.

With a crash, a wave of normalcy settles onto the room. Gunsmoke trailed off into the ether as time flowed freely once again. I got to my feet and brushed splintered wood from my shirt. Spider reverted to Tom once again and his gun was gone.

I made my gun disappear, as well as Juan's. I helped Brian up to his feet as he stared in disbelief. Together we walked over next to Tom. Sean was picking up and reshuffling the deck of cards. Juan knelt on one knee, his head bowed low.

"Hey, you okay?" I held my hand out to him.

"What'd you do to me?" I think he was weeping.

"Something I don't like to do. Something I did to myself a long time ago." Perhaps I was still doing it, still there in that moment, stripping everything away.

I went over and lifted him up and dropped him in his chair. He held his face in his hands. I'm not sure how much of him was left.

"You're free now. We all are. We made a mess, now let's clean it up." Tom was flipping the table back onto it's legs. Brian collected the chips. Sean riffled the cards between his hands.

No comments: