Friday, April 5, 2013

A jaunt into the future. 2007 meets 2023

Tower of Brahma: Chapter 47. the Meaning of Life (completed) [edit]

08/02/07

This was always one of my favorite chapters. Rather than introduce new characters, I'd just have my future self transport me into the future, just to show me that it all continues as it must. Life keeps on keeping on, no matter what we say and do. All we can influence is the flavor of our own existence. This was one of the many chapters I would write as I wandered the East Village alone. Other than my roommate Jared, and occasionally dating someone, I didn't have any friends and mostly just sat in the corner of bars, observed, and wrote until something made sense.

This also sets up a major plot point in the third act when the sixty year old version of myself drags me into the future and kicks off the final moments of the Tower of Brahma. Seeing as this version of myself is ten years older than I am now, I didn't go drastic enough I feel, though I was pretty spot on with what the future would look like, this chapter predating iPads, Kindles, Google Glass, and a lot of great science fiction films.

Also, I really need to start learning the trumpet.

No comments: