Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Write Club, support group salvation

Tower of Brahma - 51 - stop me if you've heard this one before (edit)

2/16/08

With my second semester at the New School in full swing, I tried to write a chapter for this new writing class I was taking. This was the result of talking with a few writer friends, trying to assemble a support group of the kind I imagine would help me make sense of why I even wanted to write in the first place and what I hoped to get out of it. Scott, Jose, Ben, and Tim are the closest writer friends I have, and this chapter is my version of all of them.

Also, my distant girlfriend is also featured here as a robotic collector of information for the New World: Order and Mike Gallows, as introduced last chapter. At the time she was cheating on me and I knew, but I didn't know. I knew it wouldn't work between us, though I couldn't really accept that. I didn't know why I was trying to write, trying to take it serious, when my heart was broken and quite literally was being driven to drink myself into unconsciousness (long story, tell you in person) and my teeth were killing me as I tried to process academia.

The chapter was fairly well received, but the class was a joke. The teacher was a burn out who pretty much discouraged us all as much as possible without actually saying anything. His demeanor as a failed writer was apparent and blatant, preferring to spend his days at the college talking about Bob Dylan. I thought pulling together this writer's group, my Write Club finally coming to fruition, if only a fictional version in my head.

No comments: