Thursday, April 4, 2013

I made my crazy on the page, Staying sane on the inside

The Tower of Brahma 46 Paranoia Paradise (edit)

01/31/07

At this point I wasn't sure where to take it next, except that I would have to bring in other characters, have to explore the Freemason conspiracy angle that was present in even the original screenplay from 1997, years before my father would become one. I had gone out for a beer with Tim, my original inspiration for Agent Spider, and mixed it with the idea that he was also my agent. As I absorbed Agent Spider into myself, a dark, violent side to the Christ-like Fenris, Tim would evolve into Tom Trainor, my handler as a kid secret agent.

Wow, that seems a bit convoluted. Much like the characters in the Wizard of Oz were actually the people in her life exaggerated into archetypal forms, so too was Tim, as he was one of the few consistent friends in my life, even if we had hardly seen one another through our twenties (and now thirties). Every time I saw him it was a bit of a reality check against who I used to be, and a good measure of just how far I'd come.

Originally I saw him as the coolest, aloof badass with a head full of arcane knowledge, and I was the rookie initiate stumbling into his destiny. As my needs morphed, my ideas about who my friends were, what roles they played in my life, so did their character. I was Charles Crown, Agent Fenris, and Agent Spider, all working to create a whole personality. The others were all enemies, ensnared as I was in paranoia. Though this was all in my head. I lived a pretty normal, if not depressed existence during these years, spilling my crazy on the page, keeping my head straight in the day to day.

No comments: